Collaborating with writers is essential to effective editing. That might seem obvious but it nonetheless needs to be said. When writer and editor are on the same page (pun intended), the editing process works better for both parties involved.
Collaboration requires communication between editor and writer, a solid understanding of the writer’s vision and what they want to say, and constructive feedback and suggestions. Good communication can prevent misunderstandings and ensure the author’s vision for the manuscript is realized.
If you hire me as your editor, I will work with you to establish a collaborative working relationship. As part of building a rapport, I will take the time to get to know you and your vision for your work. I will be respectful and courteous in all communications, providing regular updates and feedback throughout the editing process.
When we work together, I:
- Establish a communication plan at the beginning of the editing process.
- Use clear and specific language in my communications.
- Be responsive to your questions and concerns.
- Provide regular updates on the status of the manuscript.
In editing your work, I will keep in mind:
- Your intended audience
- Your voice and tone
- The big picture: the premise and purpose of your work
To get more specific, in editing a book manuscript, I will review your chapters to ensure that they:
- Support the book’s big picture. I will edit to ensure that no chapter seems extraneous or goes off-topic.
- Have a logical flow and progression, and re-ordering them if they don’t.
- Are balanced in length.
- Appropriately and effectively use information and sources, whether anecdotes, interviews and quotes, statistics, or research.
I will follow these principles even if your work is not a full-length book manuscript, for example, an essay, an article, or a research report.
Make sense to you? Then get in touch to discuss your work and how we can collaborate in editing it. Although no editor can promise that a manuscript will be published as a book, if you work with me, you will have a polished, professional manuscript that meets industry standards. If you already have a publisher, I will ensure your work is edited to meet your publisher’s expectations and requirements.